Every year I schedule in time for what I call a super organise and clean through the house. This involves at least 3-4 hours of work for my house but before I add to the craziness of decorations, presents and visitors for the season this is time well spent!
You might think you can’t do this in this amount of time or possibly that it is too much time, there is no right or wrong answer, last year through the Konmari Method I completed a huge list of things I wanted to do in my home an physical environment. As such my level 10 life Score went from a 4 to an 8 this year ! All successfully achieved and really improved my lifestyle.
More about this method in a blog another time. This year I will be improving the upkeep of this process. Oh just a note, it doesn't mean regular chores are cancelled as they still need to be done, as we are a family of four people and one very fury dog!
What this does mean though by doing this in one hit, I am saving myself time and stress in the future, being this organised allows me to spend good quality time with friends and family and allows less stress (on my part) when we gain unexpected visitors or life is more hectic than expected, which always happens this time of year.
This process isn't for everyone but for me I recognise my equilibrium is kept and my enjoyment levels increased by making this process happen. It also falls really nicely in with my Level 10 goals for Physical Environment that will see me into the new year.
I get told a lot by the people around me that I tidy and clean to much! That some people see it as a waste of time, some say they don't have time so choose not to do it, some day it's pointless because it will get messy again, some say to me I'm a little obsessed even.
Now I am all for considering other peoples perspective on this and I have spent time considering if they are correct in their views. I am not suggesting here today they are right or wrong. Today I share with you the reasons I choose ( feel the empowerment there? It's my choice, no one makes me ) to do this and why then it's important for me to follow this through.
• General cleaning can improve air quality - by eliminating areas prone to mould or dust that can affect conditions such as asthma and allergies.
• When the house is dirty or disorganised, it’s difficult to focus on the tasks, You will be distracted by trying to find things, clear surfaces or finding space to do what you want to taking up more time than you have and reducing your productivity
• You can relax and sleep better in a clean and tidy environment
• Creating a cosy and friendly environment means people want to be around, they feel welcome and can enjoy themselves . Hygge is the best! If you have not heard of this before pop over to the bookshelf where there are some recommendations to read up about it or use social media to search it.
• Doing a deep clean and tidy allows me to see and feel my house. It gives me a chance to connect with it, find out if there are any repairs I have missed or need to consider, appreciate and give thanks to the space that shelters and supports me and my family.
• Creating emotional and physical space allows life to run smoothly, brings opportunity for new and exciting things to come in, and reduces negativity. Keeping the joy in life - another book I recommend to read to help with this process is The Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo check out the bookshelf.
• I am more productive, focused as a result.
So why not! Top tip is I use this time to catch up on podcasts and audio books.
My Level 10 Life goals for Physical Environment
1. Get house repairs and maintenance done
2. Bring in Konmari method to every area of home
3. Build a porch
4. Improve Garden planting areas
5. Create an even better office desk space
6. Get help
7. Organise garage
8. Reorganise and stock kitchen , create pantry
9. Clear out garden shed
10. Home improvements - paint front of house, clear up garden after winter, new hallway carpet, paint bathroom
Not all the tasks on my level 10 can be done straight away but working towards them and having a plan will make them happen. For now I can be happy that I have a tidy house and am ready for the festive season.
Do share your top tips, ideas and inspiration with me.
Linda Perry (a.k.a. Magick Mummy)
Holistic Health Practitioner💚Mum👩👧👦 Wife💏Author📘Blogger. My mission to inspire others to live a healthy, happy & full life!